Areas of Expertise
These are the areas and issues our consultants have expertise in.
Policy, regulatory and legal frameworks
- Media regulation and law
- Internet governance
- Evolution of technology policy
Media and journalism
- Media ownership
- Public service media
- Community media
- Social media
- Funding models
- Journalism and politics
- Investigative journalism
- Historical perspectives
Digital rights and advocacy
- Digital rights, privacy and data protection
- Policy advocacy and civil society
- Technology and civil society
- Activism and participation
- Communication policy advocacy and media justice
Harmful content online
- Assessment of social media and ISP policy and practice
- Civil society responses
- Challenges related to freedom of expression
Narratives and media representation
- Migration and media
- Discourse and content analysis
- Societal aspects of big data
- Digital humanities
- Ethics of big data
- Development and implementation of monitoring and evaluation protocol and plans
Strategic evaluation is the center’s main strength in impact assessment. We have expertise in two types of strategic evaluation. One is focused on general organizational evaluation where we analyze the quality of strategies and the activities through which organizations want to achieve their strategic objectives. The second is focused on advocacy planning, starting from the first phase of policy mapping to strategizing and planning to the final stage of measuring impact.
See below the study on trends in impact evaluation that our director Marius Dragomir wrote.
For more information on our consultancy services, please contact us on the emails and phone numbers on this website.
We offer clients in the non-profit sector comprehensive evaluation packages. Our center has experts with long experience in project and organizational evaluation. They have carried out evaluations for NGOs, donor organizations, media outlets, think tanks, academic institutions and foundations.
We use a combined quantitative-qualitative approach that includes analysis of existing quantitative indicators related to the organization’s work (i.e. reach, number of followers, appearances in the media, analytics, online targeting) and intensive interviewing (of the organization’s staff as well as key stakeholders in the respective field).
More concretely, we identify strengths and weaknesses in specific areas or portfolios of the organization, analyze the quality of their strategy and the impact of their activities in relation to the organization’s strategic objectives.
Specifically, these evaluations help:
- NGOs and think tanks to ensure adequate distribution of their human and financial resources
- Media outlets to choose the right audience or monetization strategies for the context and environment in which they operate
- Donors and foundations to properly prioritize their grant-making in areas and towards players where they achieve the highest impact
In areas where the center has expertise such as media business, internet and media policies, or journalism, we offer additional input, including general analysis of key trends, sets of ownership and financial data, analysis of key policies and data about sources of funding.
Advocacy: strategizing, planning and measuring impact
Examples of successful advocacy are rare today, chiefly because many organizations do not spend sufficient time analyzing the specific environment in which they are going to advocate, particularly the main sources of influence in decision-making at various levels.
Tested on dozens of organizations in the past decade, our approach is based on a thorough analysis of the decision-making establishment, with a focus on the key influencers in the process. We help organizations create methodologies to carry out such analysis through a heavily qualitative approach based on interviews and consultations with experts and stakeholders.
This preparatory work helps organizations map the main networks of influencers and their characteristics, empowering them to build tactical alliances and impactful advocacy. Actors we study include institutions that propose, draft and approve laws and policies, people with influence serving in these institutions as well as external players (organizations, groups of interests, individuals) who directly or indirectly shape the decision-making process.
Our coaching and workshops take the clients through all stages of advocacy planning: field research, strategizing, advocacy campaign design and impact evaluation.
Specifically, these advocacy planning workshops help clients to:
- Think strategically about how to set goals and targets in advocacy
- Design fact-based advocacy campaigns
- Create methodologies to assess the impact of advocacy
- Design research that supports targeted advocacy projects
- Create methodologies to analyze and identify the key influencers in the policy making process
Our reporting services include analyses on specific issues and topics and country reports as well as comparative country analyses. We also offer as part of our reporting services datasets consisting of key information and statistics on companies and markets.
- Media regulation and law and internet governance
- Governance of public service media
- Regulation of community media
- Legal frameworks governing social media
- Funding models for journalism
- Political influence in the media
- Historical accounts of developments in the media
- Advocacy strategies, activism and participation
- Policies related to harmful content online
- Coverage of migration in the media
- Content analysis around specific issues and events
- Regulation of digital rights, privacy and data protection
- Impact of big data on societies
Country profiles and comparative reports
- Description of regulatory and policy frameworks
- Comparative analysis of regulatory and policy frameworks
- Profiles of local advocacy groups and networks, and civil society experts covering technology
- Profiles of local civil society groups and networks active in responding to policies related to harmful content online
- Profiles of key actors involved in digital rights advocacy
- Profiles of main players implementing regulation on data protection
- Profiles of main players involved in media development
- Assessment of editorial practices and coverage of media outlets
- Data and statistics about public service media, private media and community media (audience, governance structures, programming, staffing)
- Data on media ownership (companies’ shareholders, links with other companies, history of share purchase)
- Data and information about investigative journalism platforms (founders, sources of funding, investigations, profiles of journalists)
- Data on funding journalism (sources of funding media outlets and journalism networks, including public funding, donations, subscriptions, sponsorship, advertising)
- Data and information about private donors and foundations active in media development
Our advisory services include assistance in research projects in all phases from conceptualization and design to dissemination and outreach as well as data use-related advice.
Research methodology & outreach
- Assistance in designing methodology for research projects
- Advice on research project management from the methodology development stage to the dissemination phase
- Assistance and advice on effective ways of communications and outreach in research projects
- Methods for using big data in humanities and social sciences
- Assistance in complying with legal provisions and regulations on personal data